Selecting a New Water Heater When purchasing a new water heater there are some things that you should know. For example, you want to take into consideration factors such as: Types of Water Heaters: Solar Water Heater: Fairly new technology works either through an active collecting system or a passive collecting system. An active system […]
Selecting a New Water Heater
When purchasing a new water heater there are some things that you should know. For example, you want to take into consideration factors such as:
Types of Water Heaters:
- Solar Water Heater: Fairly new technology works either through an active collecting system or a passive collecting system.
An active system works by pumping household water through collectors and back into your home.
A passive collecting system works by allowing warm water to rise and cooler water to sink. They are said not to be as effective as an active system, however they can last much longer.
To install a solar water heater you need to consider the climate you live in, your local building codes, and how much sun is present in your area. Therefor it is best to have a professional solar system contractor install your system.
- Tankless Coil and Indirect water heaters: Cold water is heated through a coil. Tankless Coil systems do not require the use of a tank, as Indirect systems do. However, Indirect water heaters can be more energy efficient because they allow the furnace to turn on less frequently.
- Tankless or Demand water heaters: Cold water is heated by either a gas or an electric element. They work without the use of a storage tank. They deliver a constant supply of hot water.
- Storage Tank water heaters: Hot water is constantly stored in the tank and when the hot water is used cold water then enters the tank to replace the hot water used.
- Heat-Pump water heaters: Move heat from one place to another using either gas or electricity.
Fuel type, availability and cost:
- Size: when determining which size to purchase for your family, you must consider capacity and frequency of use.
Here are some comparisons:
Solar Systems: Do you have ample space to install solar panels outside of your home ?
Tankless Coil, Indirect, Demand Systems: Tankless Coil, Indirect and Demand water heaters will take up less space than Indirect water heaters which require a storage tank.
Heat Pump Systems: Require at least 1,000 cubic feet (28.3 cubic meters) of air space around the water heater
- Energy efficiency: how energy efficient is your heating system?
Here are some comparisons:
For gas and oil water heaters you need to know the unit cost of fuel and then research prices per unit. Tankless or demand water heaters can be 24%–34% more energy efficient than conventional storage tank water heaters. Of course for solar heating, the energy savings is substantial however that needs to be estimated along with the potential costs of maintenance and repairs.
- Cost: Not only will you need to consider purchasing the actual unit, but you will also need to consider the lifespan of the heater and the price of repairs. A couple of things to consider when comparing costs of installation, maintenance and repairs are:
- How much hot water do you use?
- Where is your geographic location?
- Are there any local incentives for using a particular type of water heating solution?
- What is the cost of the fuel if it is used in the heating of the unit, (natural gas, oil, electricity)?
Installing a New Water Heater
Installing a new water heater can be complex and should best be left to professionals. For example, you want to take into consideration factors such as the reliability and reputation of the company you are hiring.
Continued Maintenance on your In-Home Water Heater
Hopefully you will not need to have plumbing and maintenance on your water heater for many years if you have done your homework correctly and have gone through the checklist above.
You might have blocked drains and need emergency plumbing, or need your pipes relined? If any of these issues are affecting your hot water use, here is a company that services all of the above. http://www.plumberlanecove.com.au/hot-water/
However, if you need to hire a plumber, here are some good tips for choosing the right one:
Check if the company has any references or testimonials on Facebook, or a local service such as True Local. See what others say about the company and it’s quality of customer service. Do the following when selecting a qualified professional:
One strategy to secure a good quote is to request cost estimates in writing.
Also, make sure to check if the company has obtained local permits and understands local building codes.
Good luck in choosing the right water heater for your home.